Saturday 6 August 2011

MRI and Biopsy to Check if it Has Spread

Tulip is the cutest 'person' I have ever met. She is the canine version of my beloved "Kitty," my 18 year old platinum burmese four pound cat that died of kidney disease last year. Tulip is four pounds also. Sweet tendrils of black hair are lately coming in here and there, but mostly she is blond with chocolate almond eyes and a black nose that looks like someone sewed a button there. She is a rare long-haired chihuahua and, like Baxter and Jaida, 'suffers' from a case of high self-esteem. (As if that could be a problem.)





What is so cute about her is how she teases you. She does this to her mom and me: dances at the foot of a bed or couch as if she wants to board it, then dances back out of reach when you reach down to help her up. She seems to giggle at our frustration. She smiles if you scratch her in the right place, and she controls all other dogs' locations.


Zoe, a nine-year old grey harlequin Great Dane, lay on the sunroom bed with me all night and Tulip decided she no longer wanted her wee doggie bed here and seemed jealous of me and Zoe. Zoe is as big as a person but that didn't stop Tutu. She wormed her way under the blankies, and curled up against Zoe's warmth. Fine except for the fact that if Zoe moved she got a big growling warning from four pound Tutu. Zoe, like all other dogs, ended up frozen still cos that is what Tulip (Tutu) demanded.

This morning Eiger and Bucky's faces appeared in the frosted glass panels in the sunroom door. Tulip jumped onto the night table and growled at them. They obediently sank to the floor. She is so full of happiness at her power over gigantic dogs, she giggles and floats back onto the bed. "I am magic!" she seems to declare.

Yesterday I met with Paul, my chemo doctor, and he was as kind as he ever was. He is genuinely upset that my nausea lasted a week and said that although not everyone gets nausea, that he is determined to reduce it. He prescribed an anti-nausea drug that we will have to pay for and Dave won't be happy. I told Paul that a week of nausea was followed by a week of constipation and that all three weeks after the first chemo there has been a lot of fatigue.

I lost my wallet and have been driving around with no license for two days. Also my OHIP card and hospital card are missing. The Queensway Carleton hospital was very cool. They gave me a new hospital card right away. The social worker read me my ohip number and told me the social worker at Queensway Carleton will give me a hundred bucks towards the fifteen dollars per day parking. This is useful as I pay fifteen bucks for every doctor meeting, blood test, chemo appointment, and scan. End of December, when the chemo is finished and radiation begins, I will be paying fifteen bucks a day for each radiation treatment. I will have twenty-five radiation treatments.


Because I had no money (Dave's Visa card is on "declined" all the time lately, and there is zero in my bank account right now) I put the blinkers on the car and parked illegally, asking the security guard on the way in to my doctor, not to tag me. It worked out.

After driving home the downtown dogs I went to OHIP and the same clerk at Canada Services office in City Hall gave me a new temporary driver's license and OHIP card for a mere ten bucks (which I found in the glove compartment, courtesy of Dave). Sometimes it is good to be Canadian.

Courtenay and Dawn have spoiled me yet once more. I have never owned a designer piece of clothing, and once they found out my hair was falling out they went online at Courtenay's to a designer scarf place. Then they called me in from Court's back deck (site of many a great party this summer) and pretended we were voting on the best scarves. Then Court spent her birthday weekend driving over the border to Ogdensburg, and driving back with a present for me.

On Thursday night when I had thought the party was for Courtenay, and had balloons, flowers, and a wee gift for her, they instead presented me with a four hundred dollar real, genuine Pucci blue scarf!


I guess I have to revise my no headscarf stance.


We had a really great time, and I gotta say, the friendship of Courtenay, Dawn, Jordan, and Tyler and Christine and Mike brings me the greatest joy anyone could ever have.


Today the hair is flying out. I put a hand up in my hair and massive amounts are coming out. The wig appointment I have on Tuesday is for a person with a bald head (otherwise they can't fit you right.) I don't think shaving will be necessary, but I will probably go to a hairdresser for that on Monday night if it all isn;t out by then.

later...
Just back from another MRI of my bones. Radiation oncologist thought he saw cancer in em, but he is wrong, I believe. I think what he saw was just arthritis. He will get the results from the Saturday MRI (cancer patients use the MRI machine on off hours) and let me know within the week ahead. Thursday I go for blood test at ten a.m. then the chemo at one p.m.


The MRI is horrible. About an hour this time. Jack hammering and bells ringing and awful sounds. Afterwards, I found my way back to the parking lot by the hair that had fallen off on my way there. Time to get the remainder shaved off. I am weepy and depressed, chemo brained and miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment